Please scroll to the bottom to purchase human-grade mixed powdered Seaweed. Thank you!
We have studied and selected the seaweed species that are most beneficial for pets and put them all into one custom mix. Each species is known for its unique properties and you won't find a blend more diverse or complete than this one.
An example of the unique benefits found in each seaweed species or variety, was recently demonstrated in a Georgia Institute of Technology study.
Though all the seaweed they studied was from a single species, the researchers were surprised to find two distinct groups of antifungal chemicals. From one seaweed subpopulation, dubbed the "bushy" type for its appearance, 23 different antifungal compounds were identified. In a second group of seaweed, the researchers found 10 different antifungal compounds, all different from the ones seen in the first group. ~ Warding Off Disease on Coral Reefs: Antifungal Chemical Cues in Tropical Seaweed, Georgia Institute of Technology
Feed your pets what they'd select themselves in the wild and in a form readily absorbed (without the cellulose binding of terrestrial plants). Seaweed boasts 56 bioavailable minerals and trace elements. This unique blend is designed to be an exceptional source of B Vitamins, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Potassium, Iodine, Omega 3, Antioxidants, Enzymes, Protein and a long list of natural colour enhancers for your wet-pets. All seaweed has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-parasite qualities. It is renowned for its ability to help balance the body's elements & electrolytes. Seaweed also cleanses the body of heavy metals and radiation (natural source of potassium iodide).
Want some comparisons? Your pet would have to eat about 40 lb. of fresh vegetables and/or fruits to get as much iodine as you would from 1 gram of Kelp. How about 4 times the iron in Spinach, more calcium than Kale or Bok-choy, twice the magnesium of collard greens and more vitamin C by mass than oranges!
Some science backing the health benefits of seaweed:
- Chondrus crispus is used especially to build immunity and prevent viral diseases, including the treatment of TB in humans.
- The large brown seaweeds known as "Kelp" are rich sources of alginic acids, which remove heavy metals from the body and the bones.
- Red Seaweeds have demonstrated exceptional anti-parasite properties in scientific studies, with Kelp coming in as a close second.
- Ulva has been tested on fish in several scientific studies with positive results across the board.
- Seaweed has been proven to promote collagen synthesis, making it a valuable treatment and preventative for arthritis and other joint-related issues in pets.
- Green seaweed is superior to all other algae groups in regards to absorption, and is most often the algae of choice of wild fish (followed by red algae). [W. Linn Montgomery & Shelby D. Gerking, Marine macroalgae as foods for fishes: an evaluation of potential food quality]
Seaweed powder can be fed directly to your pets or be used in mixes and recipes. It is perfect for gut-loading/bio-encapsulating/dusting live food cultures for fish or reptiles (such as feeder Shrimp, Black Worms or White Worms). White Worms even occur naturally in decaying seaweed, so you know they like it!
This powdered Seaweed blend contains no preservatives or other additives, and none of the over-processing issues that impact or remove the natural nutrition in commercial pet food. Harvested fresh this season (you'll smell the difference!), it is blended and immediately sealed in food-grade bags to retain vitamin content.
For further research and information about the specific uses of Seaweed (including recipes), please visit our blog.
Our human-grade* Seaweed Powder is brought in from across Canada, and the Spirulina is sourced in the US. The shipping costs alone for this many species is high if ordered separately, but you can get it all in one place! By cutting out the 'middleman' & elaborate packaging, we are still able to offer this blend of human-grade* Powdered Seaweed at a reasonable price. Because it is whole, nutrient-packed food, a little goes a very long way.