Please scroll to the bottom to purchase human-grade mixed Seaweed flakes. Thank you!
We have studied and selected the seaweed species that are most beneficial for pets and put them all into one custom mix. Each species is known for its unique properties and you won't find a blend more diverse or complete than this one.
An example of the unique benefits found in each seaweed species or variety, was recently demonstrated in a Georgia Institute of Technology study.
Though all the seaweed they studied was from a single species, the researchers were surprised to find two distinct groups of antifungal chemicals. From one seaweed subpopulation, dubbed the "bushy" type for its appearance, 23 different antifungal compounds were identified. In a second group of seaweed, the researchers found 10 different antifungal compounds, all different from the ones seen in the first group. ~ Warding Off Disease on Coral Reefs: Antifungal Chemical Cues in Tropical Seaweed, Georgia Institute of Technology
Feed your pets what they'd select themselves in the wild and in a form readily absorbed (without the cellulose binding of terrestrial plants). Seaweed boasts 56 bioavailable minerals and trace elements. This unique blend is designed to be an exceptional source of B Vitamins, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Potassium, Iodine, Omega 3, Antioxidants, Enzymes, Protein and a long list of natural colour enhancers for your wet-pets. All seaweed has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-parasite qualities. It is renowned for its ability to help balance the body's elements & electrolytes. Seaweed also cleanses the body of heavy metals and radiation (natural source of potassium iodide).
Want some comparisons? Your pet would have to eat about 40 lb. of fresh vegetables and/or fruits to get as much iodine as you would from 1 gram of Kelp. How about 4 times the iron in Spinach, more calcium than Kale or Bok-choy, twice the magnesium of collard greens and more vitamin C by mass than oranges!
Some science backing the health benefits of seaweed:
- Chondrus crispus is used especially to build immunity and prevent viral diseases, including the treatment of TB in humans.
- The large brown seaweeds known as "Kelp" are rich sources of alginic acids, which remove heavy metals from the body and the bones.
- Red Seaweeds have demonstrated exceptional anti-parasite properties in scientific studies, with Kelp coming in as a close second.
- Ulva has been tested on fish in several scientific studies with positive results across the board.
- Seaweed has been proven to promote collagen synthesis, making it a valuable treatment and preventative for arthritis and other joint-related issues in pets.
- Green seaweed is superior to all other algae groups in regards to absorption, and is most often the algae of choice of wild fish (followed by red algae). [W. Linn Montgomery & Shelby D. Gerking, Marine macroalgae as foods for fishes: an evaluation of potential food quality]
All seaweeds in this naturally-dried mix are harvested & flaked in Atlantic Canada for human consumption*. There are no preservatives or other additives, and none of the over-processing issues that impact or remove the natural nutrition in commercial pet food. Harvested fresh this season (you'll smell the difference!) it is blended and immediately vacuum sealed to retain vitamin content. Seaweed flakes can be fed directly to your pets or used in mixes and recipes.
For further research and information about the specific uses of Seaweed (including recipes), please visit our blog.
We no longer carry Seaweed flakes.
You can find a similar blend here.
Disclaimer: Statements on this website may not have been evaluated by the FDA, Health Canada nor any other government regulator. The information and products provided by AllNaturalPetCare.com are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, nor prevent any disease and are intended for educational purposes only. Please research and consult a veterinarian before treating any condition/illness or making dietary changes. The owners/operators of All Natural Pet Care will not be liable in the event of incidental or consequential damages or loss in connection with, or arising out of, the furnishing, performance, or use of the instructions, suggestions or products on this website.
* Not sold for human consumption - Items sold for human consumption have extra regulatory requirements that would double our prices. Products marked as 'human-grade' have been purchased by our broker as human-grade and have passed their laboratory tests for Canadian human-grade standards.